To make your computer the member of LAN you need to provide the IP address to your Computer or Laptop then only it can communicate in LAN and it can access the Internet so to give the IP address to your Computer or to change your computer / Laptop network IP address in any Windows Operating System like Windows XP, Vista, or Wndows 7 follow the below procedure:
1. Go to Start >> RUN.
2. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter. This will disable your internet connection.
3. Go to your desktop and right-click on Network Place or My Network Places (If you’re using Windows Vista or 7 then Go to Start >> Control Panel >> Network and Sharing Center >> Change adapter settings)
4. Click on Properties. now u’ll see Local Area Connection.
5. Right-click on your connection ( Select Local Area Connection if you are using an ethernet cable or Select Wireless Network Connection if you are using WiFi) and click Properties.
6. In General tab, double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
7. Then new window will appears. On its own General tab.
8.Enter the IP address, Subnet and Gateway and DNS too for Internet access.
9. Click OK to bring you back to the “Local Area Connection” screen.
10. Right-click Local Area Connection and Click on Properties again.
11. Again, under the General tab, double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
12. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
13. Click OK.
14. Go back to your DOS prompt by pressing Windows key and R and type “ipconfig /renew” and press Enter. This restores your internet connection.
Now, the network should’ve assigned a new IP address to your computer automatically.